A Fear of Blogging and A Fear of this Project

Hello all,

how long has it been…like 3 weeks!? Well to be honest, blogging has been on my mind for a while. I am actually quite nervous what to write and what to write about. So I am just going to start writing about the project.

This project has made me do a double take. First of all, we went from 1 to 2 websites…I do not think that is a huge deal. But that is more work to do and more sources of technology to figure out. Why did I even choose this project as my first pick!? Well, I liked the idea of James Monroe because I have studied him in the past- also I love looking at historic documents. I really got into that in my 299 class. I am actually doing the same for European Diplomatic history this semester. My research essay is taking a look at Queen Victoria and the peaceful diplomacy she attempted to keep between countries with the marriage of different monarchies. It is a great research essay. This project however, is giving me nightmares!

Our group at the moment is really taking to use google docs. Everything we do to communicate with eachother is through google docs and email. I wish we could just actually meet more. I feel like we get so much more done when we are in class for fifteen minutes than we do when we are trying to do it over the internet and when we are seperate. I am not blaming anyone- I am just saying it would be more time efficient in my opinion. As a double major in theatre and history- it is fair to say I am a lot more in the theatre realm than the history one. I play such a large part in the theatre department. I am the marketing and communications assitant for the department, currently in main stage show, and taking an intense 400 level course where we are to create a digital story after our 2 week trip to New York during spring break. Yes, I would love to be a curator of a museum and be surrounded by thousands of archives and artifacts- but this is not my passion. I find it hard to juggle both history and theatre…If I am not in Monroe…My head is in theatre. (Except when I am doing history homework).

This project is stressing me out. I think about it a lot…but I feel helpless in what I can bring to the table. I am great with digital media(my brother and I always made movies and did the youtube and windows media player thing)…but uploading documents and creating a structure for a website is making me nervous. The JMP group seems to be talking about everything but we are not starting yet. It is making me nervous. I really want to go on Omeka and start creating one of the websites..but because this is a group project it is taking time to get the websites on their feet. I do not want everyone to think that our group project is a disaster…but I have had a lot of these nerves and feelings for a long time and that is why I did not want to blog. Yea, i want to discuss the tools and the research…but I needed to get this off my chest.

Published in:Digital History, problems |on February 17th, 2008 |3 Comments »

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

3 Responses to “A Fear of Blogging and A Fear of this Project”

1. kwuyscik Says:

Talya,
    I understand what you’re saying completely. Ask Andrea, I was venting about the same issues last night. But at the same time, we have accomplished a lot considering we needed to develop the layout of two sites. And how much could we truly do without knowing how to use Contribute or scan in microfilm? Those are the basis for both of our sites and up until our meeting this afternoon, we would have been in the dark about both of them.
    But I agree, I would love to spend more time outside of class to develop these projects and ideas and I feel like we need to. If we don’t we’ll be way too far behind. This is the sort of project where you can’t just sit around and wait for an email or a Google Doc. update.

I just wanted you to know you’re not alone in your thinking. See you this afternoon.

-Kelly

2. ameye5hp Says:

Talya,
    I definitely understand a lot of your stress. I get really stressed out just thinking about getting this together and making all our different ideas work together and become a reality.
    I’m feeling pretty good right now about the uploading scanned stuff (we’ll see how that goes in a bit). I’ve done it with photos and I’ve worked with document scanning a little before and microfilm a lot (although not in the scanning itself and a lot more with scanning to print than scanning to computer, but the ideas are similar).
    I definitely agree (and have been pushing for, although Kelly’s probably heard the brunt of it) a group meeting outside of class. I think we all agree it needs to be done, the issue seems to be timing. I’m available after 2 weekdays, 7.15-7.30 pm tues/thurs i’m usually busy on campus with Great Lives, but that’s 15 minutes, and I’m fairly flexible even with that. So, let’s talk times!

3. Andrea Says:

I forgot, Thursdays I have class 2-4.45, too, in case anyone looks back at this.